Friday, January 05, 2007

Hyderabad Real Estate Market taking a breather

This is just a commentary of what I am seeing.. dont send me emails saying that I am a nay sayer.. I am not, I am still investing but in good areas that are closer to the city..

Hyderabad real estate market seems to be taking a breather to digest the high run ups it has seen in the recent past. Primarily the rush by individuals to acquire 200 - 400 yd plots and properties in unknown forest lands way beyond the Airport and Maheshwaram seems to be causing the slow down. There is no stretch of land in between that can really be acquired to start projects, a drive through this area made me realize that many folks have relied too much on brokers advise than really investigating the area.

Recent telangana sentiment is also adding fuel to this scenario and property values are rising like crazy in the Vijayawada area, primarily in areas like Kanur, KanchikaCherla, Gannavaram ( VJA Airport ) etc. In addition the area between VJA and Guntur is also on a alltime high due to predictions that it will become the new capital. I am not sure if telangana will ever materialize but many voices are now asking for Telangana, Rayalaseema, Uttarandhra ( North Andhra ) and Costal Andhra. "Do you think the state is big enough to be broken up into 4 parts ?. I dont..". Also, a prediction that Vizag will be the capital incase of telangana break up is causing rise of property values in vishakapatnam also.

Cash strapped investors are also adding fuel to the current correction by trying to get rid of their properties at what ever price. If you are holding estate in the Gucchibowli, Nanakramguda, Kondapur, Hitec area, you are fine, the dip here doesnt seem to be as bad as the outskirts. A group of us had to pullback our offer on a large investment even after paying a token advance, since land right next door was being offered to us by cash strapped investors for much lower prices.

All that said, the growth is Hyderabad is not slowing down at all. A good opportunity to land deals in the prime areas of the city where the prices went beyond the regular market levels. The premium levels will certainly come down, but not the base land values. So, for a 40K per yd land in Gucchibowli, there is a 20K premium built in and I expect that these values to stabilize around 25 to 30K.

Couple of my real estate contacts have indicated that smart money is now running away from Hyderabad to Bangalore and Vishakapatnam.

As always.. "Its your money, so invest it wisely.. dont take my word or for that matter anyone's word for granted.. do your homework before making an investment"

9 comments:

Raj said...

Hey.. I am a regular reader of ur posts... Very nice and thanks for keeping us informed of the ground realities..

In one of the posts, you talked about investing in family owned sick units... Any luck in finding them? I am really interested in investing in those type of opportunities...Please do let me know if you come across any good ones and looking for additional funds..

My email: rajesh.gudapati@gmail.com

Thanks
Raj

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a regular reader.. I am glad I am able to help keep many of you informed.

On the sick units, after a lot of research, I have noticed that all these units around hyderabad have now become very expensive due to the land value. There are some available in the districts, but you may not be very interested due to the location. Its hard to just be an investor since none of the transactions happen in white in India.

Raj said...

Thanks. I dont mind the location... As long as the Sick unit owner is looking for funds and has a plan (The Plan) to improve and move it to profitability, I think it would be k to invest... Coming to transactions, all we need is certain value of the unit written to us for the amount we invest.. I am sure Attorneys & CPA's can come up a nicer way of doing this...

Once the unit moves to profitability, there will be lot of ways to reap rewards for our share...

Thanks

Gourav Pullela said...

Hi,

I came across your blog couple of times.. very good information for the R2I people. Could you please give me an idea of how much was the shipping cost for the 20 foot container from US to India. if you can share where you shipped it from that will be great too. Last thing if you don't mind which company you work for ? ;) I am looking to move this year and looking for information from job to moving costs etc. Highly appreciate your help !

regards,
Raj

Anonymous said...

20 foot container to Hyderabad with all charges like concor, documentation, inspection, door delivery should be maxing around 4K. Packing and Loading is extra based on what you go for. 40 ft should be around 6.5K max.

Avoid echotransworld since many folks have had bad experience with them. go with Air 7 Seas, Specifically Poonam was very helpful with the overall process.

In one of my entries, I posted the details about what to expect etc., so go over that to understand the issues you will face no matter who you go with.

On the overall move, my company estimated a spend of around $20-22K including the initial setup in Hyderabad. Not sure how much they actually spent. I am sure I went beyond their initial estimates.

Diwakar said...

Hi there,

This is the first time a Google search got me to your blog and glad to have found it. It has loads of information and all that is just in time for me. Thanks for sharing it all. Im moving back to India in April 07 and started my job search. Im currently working for Cisco and got an offer from Cisco Blore. But I prefer moving back to Hyderabad, but havent had a break thru yet.

Would you mind forwarding my resume? I've posted my resume for a job posting, but havent heard back. I do not have any contacts at Google. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Diwakar

Raj said...

Hi,

Sorry i dont even know your name to address. :)

Just want to know ur impression on a project coming up on srisailam highway.. Excl ventures is recommending that project at a cost of 5600/sq yard.. The layout has club house and swimming pool and i think it is a highway facing layout..

Any impression on the projects towards srikakulam highway and also ur thoughts on excl ventures...

Thanks
Raj

PlacidHomes.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mahipal said...

Month and a half, and no new blog!!! Have you decided to take a breather as well???